Interested in the stock market?
The CWU Investment Group is a student finance organization at Central Washington University in Ellensburg, WA. The club has been run by undergraduate students since 2014 under the supervision of faculty adviser, Dr. Thomas Tenerelli.
Thanks to a generous donation by Jean and Joe Adams, the club began actively managing a $10,000 portfolio known as The Wildcat Fund beginning in summer 2017.
The club is dedicated to teaching financial analysis, stock market / macroeconomic analysis, and professionalism while encouraging leadership, strong character, strong ethics, and diversity. Students are prepared for successful job market placement via opportunities for skill development, networking, and resume enhancement. Through membership in the club, students will have the opportunity to do the following in a fun, collaborative, and intellectually stimulating environment:
- Learn financial analysis skills like discounted cash flow analysis, relative company valuation, macroeconomic outlook analysis, and market valuation.
- Attend weekly meetings to hear stock analysis presentations, macroeconomic outlook and market valuation presentations, portfolio rebalance presentations, guest speakers, and career-preparation seminars.
- Develop a stock analysis to include with job applications and to post on LinkedIn.
- Make presentations to the Club, the Symposium On Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors (SOURCE), and members of the CWU Foundation Board.
- Take leadership positions (if willing to plan club activities).
- Participate in regional team competitions.
- Participate in quarterly club team/committee presentations including the Market Analysis Committee (macroeconomic outlook and market valuation) and Portfolio Rebalance Committee.
- Take a summer for-credit course to accelerate financial analysis skill development.
- Network at alumni events.
- Visit corporate finance departments.
- Listen to guest speakers.
- Obtain essential job-market-success skills through internships, resume reviews, mock interviews, networking opportunities, and critical career-preparation information.
- Build a powerful resume for finance jobs.
- Develop a support network of individuals dedicated to bettering themselves and others, as financial analysts and as people, for now and forever.
History and Goals
In spring of the 2014-2015 academic year, the adviser to the CWU Investment Group, Dr. Thomas Tenerelli, began sharing his vision to students of starting an investment club patterned on the most successful undergraduate investment clubs across the country and focused on advancing students' financial analysis skills and putting them in a strong position to obtain finance jobs. Shortly afterwards, a motivated junior named Garrett Vose heard the pitch and took the initiative. Garrett worked collaboratively with Dr. Tenerelli towards developing a leadership team and drafting the club mission statement, and the club was born in the 2014-15 academic year. With each successive leadership team, headed by Trey Justin in 2016-17 and now Grant Lawson in 2017-18, the club has progressed. The club strives to continually improve at creating competent, professional, and ethical financial analysts and leaders who are devoted to giving back to their communities.